Skylight Leaks: 5 Simple Prevention Tips For Your Property
Skylight leaks can cause severe water damage to your Atlanta property.
Skylights are an excellent way to bring natural light into your Atlanta home. However, if not correctly installed or maintained, they can be a source of unwanted water intrusion that causes costly damage.
The following article will provide five tips on protecting your property from potential skylight leaks and the steps to follow if a skylight leak occurs. Before we begin today's blog post, we want to mention that our water restoration professionals are available 24/7 to assist you if your Atlanta area home or business experiences water damage from any source.
What are skylight leaks?
Skylight leaks are a form of water damage that occurs when rainwater seeps through a skylight and into your home, causing water damage. Various factors, including installation errors, poor maintenance, and faulty materials, can cause skylight leaks. When left unchecked, skylight leaks can lead to costly repairs and even compromise the structural integrity of your home.
Skylight leaks are commonly caused by improper installation, such as not using suitable materials or failing to apply proper flashing around the skylight. In addition, not replacing worn-out seals can also contribute to leaks.
One of the most significant problems with skylight leaks is that they can be challenging to detect. Water often infiltrates through the roof and follows the path of least resistance, which can cause it to pool in areas far from where the leak originated. As a result, an untrained professional may need help tracking down the source of the leak, and the damage may only be visible once it has already caused significant structural harm.
SERVPRO's tips to prevent skylight leaks
Our team of professionals has put together the following tips to prevent skylight leaks from occurring:
- Check the installation instructions: Before installing a skylight, ensure you have the suitable materials and that it is correctly installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you feel uncomfortable tackling this task, hire a contractor experienced in skylight installation.
- Use quality materials: Use top-notch materials, such as high-grade flashing, sealants, and caulking, to protect your skylight from water intrusion.
- Inspect the flashing: Regularly inspect the flashing around a skylight for signs of wear and tear or damage. Ensure no gaps in the flashing allow moisture to seep through.
- Clean the skylight: Regularly clean the skylight to prevent the buildup of dirt and debris, which can cause water to back up and enter your home.
- Replace worn-out seals: Seals may start to crack or wear down due to sun exposure and heavy winds. Inspect these areas of your skylight for any signs of damage and replace them if necessary.
If you are concerned about a potential skylight leak in your Atlanta property, contact our SERVPRO specialists today for an inspection.
Steps to take when affected by skylight leaks
Take immediate action when your property is affected by a skylight leak. The longer you wait, the more damage will be done, and more costly repairs will be required. Here are some steps you should take:
- Turn off electrical power in the area: skylight leaks can damage wiring and other electrical components, so make sure to turn off power to the affected area of your home.
- Assess the damage: inspect for any signs of structural damage, such as warped floorboards or damaged drywall. While assessing the damages, take pictures and videos for your insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance provider: your insurance provider will be able to cover the costs of repairs and clean-up, so make sure to contact them as soon as possible.
- Contact a water restoration company: the contacted team of IICRC specialists should be equipped to inspect your property and assess the damage caused by a skylight leak. They should also be able to provide water extraction, drying, and repair services to help get your home back in shape.
SERVPRO is here to help restore damages caused by skylight leaks
Skylights are great for bringing natural light into your Atlanta home or business, but be aware of the potential risks laid out above. If your property has been affected by a skylight leak, contact our team of water restoration specialists at SERVPRO today. We have the necessary skills and experience to inspect your property and provide you with fast, reliable water damage restoration services. Our team stands ready to help restore your property to its preloss condition so you can rest easy knowing that your home or business is safe and secure.